Search This Blog

Saturday, August 18, 2018

Welcoming Families from Around the World

 The family's country of origin is Argentina. And I have no previous knowledge of the country. First thing I would do is to research the country, find out their language, climate, history, education, transportation, of the rural, and suburbs. Next, I would find out exactly where this new family originated in Australia and all the same facts about it that I learned about the country itself. Hopefully, I can find a translator if they do not speak English, who would know their dialect. I would be interested in the foods they eat, the clothing, their holidays, and their religion. I would learn some simple words of greeting in their language, maybe more if time permitted it. I would get some books in their primary language, and some with translations. I would have the school's handbook printed in their language, information about the school, as well as a personal note of greeting from me.

My goal for this surface preparation is to make them family feel valued. To show respect for their culture, and to show we are willing and able to converse in their language. While researching their country I would learn a lot about their history, and how their education system works, what foods are a part of their diet, what they might like to drink. And everything I learn will help me to build a relationship with this new family and their child(ren). If I show enough care and concern to take the time out to find out these things, perhaps it will show the family that I genuinely would like to learn all they are willing to share with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Learner-Centered Teaching!

I selected the BFE Early Literacy Lesson, class. Ms. Kathleen Edgar circle time was used for interaction and sharing content. The teacher ...