Search This Blog

Saturday, January 26, 2019

Messages for Families

According to Kieff (2009), advocacy may start out when we recognized a child’s needs being neglected (p.22).  And I would agree with that perspective, because the first time I met a child who would not speak, but used tears as her communication, I wanted to speak for her, but most of all I wanted to hear her speak.  At that time, I recognized my drive to protect and nourish a needy child and it motivated me to advocate.
That was only one child and it is noted as being on a micro level advocacy. But, in my effort to help the child I spoke with the grandmother and learned that the child had been in the room when her mother was killed. And for the next three years spent mostly in her grandmother’s company, and the grandmother was illiterate. My advocacy grew to encompass the grandmother, she needed to learn to read for herself and her granddaughter’s future. Where was the organization that steps in after such a toxic stressful life changing event? Who helps a little girl after witnessing something so horrific that it is okay to use her words? This situation in hindsight shows me the value of caring about the small things which are usually apart of the larger picture. According to Kieff (2009):” Advocacy grows to a macro (social) level when teachers expand their focus to include children and their families….” (p.26).
This incident did not transform me into a community leader on early childhood issues. Because, I did not pursue resolution for all the other little girls and boys whom had experienced toxic stress in their lives with their families. It would take commitment, direction, networking, research, and information to name a few of the basic elements to become leader of the community (Sharma, n.d.).
The resources needed to move from community unto a state leader on early childhood issues are somewhat extensive, funding, volunteers, influence, information, ways to disseminate the information, and a coalition with policy makers, legislators, and the media (Sharma, n.d.). The power of persuasion would be a skill needed to mobilize others, the issue must be important to the future, and information of the issue is mandatory (Sharma, n.d.).

My advice to someone who was interested in being a leader as an advocate would be to make sure to have the stamina for the long haul, of gathering resources, sharing information, making impeccable presentations, and having solutions as a start. Keeping an open mind to receive and use better ideas to obtain the goal, being an attentive listener, and a great communicator, because bringing people together to agree on an issue’s importance is a constant battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Learner-Centered Teaching!

I selected the BFE Early Literacy Lesson, class. Ms. Kathleen Edgar circle time was used for interaction and sharing content. The teacher ...